By Beth Cox-Hollingsworth, VGM Marketing
Delight = Activation of an Unexpected Positive Feeling
Marketing researchers identify the feelings of delight as joy, surprise, and high self-esteem. Their research shows when these feelings are tied to a brand, it will improve customer loyalty and increase word-of-mouth advertising. In other words, intentional creation of delight for customers adds to profits.
A misconception is that the phenomena of “delight” resides in high-level euphoric states. An unexpected shift in positive emotional state can happen for many reasons, at many emotional levels. You never know when tapping into a customer’s unique needs will create just the answer they unexpectedly desired.
Use These Techniques to Increase Your Chances of Inspiring Delight
1. Build the Customer’s Confidence, Like Tony Robbins
• Stimulate “ah-ha” moments or clarity.
• Enhance the customer’s self-worth or self-image
• Inspire them to believe “I CAN fulfill my dream, task, goal, etc.”
2. Provide Opportunities for Connection, Like WeightWatchers
• Let them know they’re not alone.
• Become part of their group or tribe.
• Demonstrate friendliness and empathy.
3. Provide *Time Savers, Like Amazon Prime
• Minimize customer waiting time.
• When they are waiting, make the time meaningful.
• Show how your product or service creates more time for the customer’s passions or focus.
(*Time = Money)
4. Create a Fun or Whimsical Experience, Like Cirque Du Soleil
• Help your customers view life through the eyes of a child, using all five senses.
• Inspire laughter and escapism.
• Make the impossible possible, like magic.
Can you think of a customer delight that doesn’t fit into Confidence, Connection, Time Savings or Fun/Whimsical categories? Let me know about it in the comments.
VGM Members - Come to my presentation, Discovering the Secrets of Delight to Win Over Others and Yourself, at Heartland Conference, June 12-15 in Waterloo, Iowa.