That's a Wrap... Here is a Recap of 2022's August of Action!
on September 12, 2022
VGM Government Relations had a Successful August of Action Advocating for Grassroots
The VGM Government Relations team worked hard this August of Action to make sure that they met with as many elected officials as possible while they were back in their home states and districts. This is a crucial time because while business happens on the golf course, politics happens in your own backyard, and that is where the most important interactions with legislators happen. Advocating for grassroots is where the seed gets planted, and these are the problems that then get brought back to D.C.
With this information in mind, the VGM Government Relations team was strategic with how they planned out their meetings for this August Recess. John Gallagher, along with many VGM and state association members, had meetings with key senate finance members, one of whom could potentially be the Chair of the Senate Finance Committee after the election and another who could be the future Chairwoman of the Energy & Commerce Committee.
It is crucial for the industry to have advocates on the Senate Finance Committee because they are the ones that have a hand in writing many different healthcare legislations. That is why we try to meet with as many of them as we can.
- Earlier this summer, John Gallagher and a group from MAMES held an event for Sen. John Thune in Sioux Falls, SD.
- John was in attendance at an event at Norco with Sen. Mike Crapo in Boise, ID.
- VGM will be holding an event for Sen. Chuck Grassley at our home HQ in Waterloo, IA early this fall.
VGM Government Relations also met with other key legislators who are advocates in the industry:
- John Gallagher attended an event in Sun Valley, Idaho with Representative Cath McMorris Rodgers.
- VGM held an event for Iowa Representative Ashley Hinson.
- John Gallagher met with Indiana State Senator Erin Houchin in Paoli, Indiana.
There are even more grassroots meetings set for the future to try and educate as many committee members as possible before.
- Sen. Ron Wyden (D-OR) (Chairman of Senate Finance) - virtual staff meeting September 22, 2022.
- Sen. Maria Cantwell (D-WA) - virtual staff meeting September 22, 2022.
- Sen. James Lankford (D-OK) is sending his health staff to attend the OMEPA conference in Oklahoma City in October.
- Sen. Steve Daines (R-MT) meeting sometime in the fall.
How can you help?
Congress reconvenes on September 6. Then the election season will be in full strength. Now is the perfect time to engage with your legislator. Why? They want your vote, and we want to educate them and gain support for DMEPOS efforts. The summer recess may be over, but you can never pass up an opportunity to educate your legislators. Take this opportunity to host an event in your office. Finding these events is as easy as looking in the local newspaper or checking social media to see what events might be happening in your area!
Reach out to Emily Harken of the VGM Government Relations team for assistance at Emily.firstname.lastname@example.org or 319-830-1578.
Don’t forget to vote on November 8, 2022!