August of Action is Fast Approaching - Act Now!
on July 27, 2023
August of Action is quickly approaching! Reach out to schedule a meeting with your member of Congress.
Every year, the House of Representatives and the Senate take a break for most of August and the first part of September, allowing elected officials to return to their home constituencies. It's a crucial time to connect with your legislators and schedule meetings to inform and update them on the current issues in the home medical equipment (HME) industry. Establishing these relationships with Congress is vital, as it enables HME legislation to navigate through all levels of government more smoothly and efficiently. Don't miss this opportunity to make your voice heard and contribute to positive change in the industry!
A few simple ways to get some face-to-face time with your legislators this summer are:
- Host a meet and greet event at your location
- Attend town hall events or town parades to get some face-to-face time with your legislator
- Reach out to their office for an in-person meeting
If you are unable to make an appointment during the recess, there are other times that you can meet your legislator. Legislators will normally host events throughout the year to hear their constituents’ concerns. Attending these events would be a significant use of time and resources. If you want to find out when one of these events is happening, visit your legislator’s website or call their offices.
Items that would be beneficial to discuss with your members of Congress include:
- Senators – Support for S. 1294: A bill to provide 75/25 blended rate for non-rural, non-CBA suppliers
- All – Accessibility to quality services and products to Medicare beneficiaries
The VGM Government Relations team can also assist by:
- Contacting or scheduling meetings with your member of Congress
- Offering coaching sessions on how to speak with your legislator
- Resources! You can find all our resources at the VGM Government website
- Here are some key resources that can be useful during your meetings:
- Congressional Meetings 101 - A guide to hosting a meeting with your legislator
- Cost of Delivering HME - VGM Government team surveyed our members last year regarding the costs associated with delivering HME.
- HME Rooftop Historical Trend - We have tracked the number of HME suppliers since 2010. Every year, we update these numbers and have found 41% of suppliers have exited business since then.
These resources can help demonstrate the necessity of the services and products our industry provides and the benefits that legislation and higher reimbursement rates would provide. For any questions, contact the VGM Government Relations team.
- vgm government