Don't Wait! August of Action is just around the corner!
on July 29, 2022
August of Action is quickly approaching! Reach out to VGM Government Relations team to schedule a meeting with your member of Congress!
Each year, both the House of Representatives and the Senate gavel the session out for most of the month of August and the first part of September so that elected officials can return home to the places they represent. During this period, it is important to reach out to your legislators to set up a meeting to educate or update them on the current issues in the HME Industry. Doing this helps build integral relationships with congress that in turn allows HME legislation to pass through all levels of government more efficiently.
A few simple ways to get some face-to-face time with your legislators this summer are…
- Host a meet and greet event at your location
- Attend town hall events or town parades to get some face-to-face time with your legislator
- Reach out to their office for an in-person meeting
If you are unable to make an appointment during the recess, there are other times that you can meet your legislator. Legislators will normally host events throughout the year to hear their constituents’ concerns. Attending these events would be a significant use of time and resources. If you want to find out when one of these events is happening visit your legislator’s website or call their offices.
Items that would be beneficial to discuss with your members of Congress:
- Accessibility to quality services and products to Medicare beneficiaries
- Ask for support for H.R. 6641, DMEPOS Relief Act of 2022
- The reimbursement rates for HME during the COVID-19 public health emergency remain in place after the PHE is over
VGM Government Relations is here to help!
If you do not know who your representatives are, or know how to contact them, click here and enter your zip code and it will pull up their information for you.
The VGM Government Relations team can also assist by:
- Contacting or scheduling meetings with your member of Congress
- Offering coaching sessions on how to speak with your legislator
- Resources! You can find all our resources at VGM Government Website
- Here are some key resources that can be useful during your meetings:
- Congressional Meetings 101 - A guide to hosting a meeting with your legislator
- Cost of delivering HME - VGM Government team surveyed our members last year regarding the costs associated with delivering HME
- HME Rooftop Historical Trend - We have tracked the number of HME suppliers since 2010. Every year, we update these numbers and have found 41% of suppliers have exited business since then.
- DMEPOS Geographic Locations - View how physical locations of beneficiaries determine reimbursement rates for suppliers (Competitive Bid area, rural and non-rural areas)
Feel free to reach out to Emily Harken at 319-830-1578 or Emily.Harken@vgm.com to learn about more opportunities to get involved, not only this August, but all year long. Emily can reach out to your members office for you and try to schedule a meeting for you! The sooner you reach out the more likely you are to get one of these meetings, even if you do not get a meeting with said member of Congress you might still get to meet with a member of their staff who sometimes end up being equally as knowledgeable on some topics.
- vgm government